The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Automotive Electrician
Announcement Number: Lagos-2020-038
Hiring Agency: Consulate General Lagos
Series / Grade: LE – 1020 5
Promotion Potential: LE-5
Work Schedule: Full-time – 48 hours per week
Appointment Type: Permanent
Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Hiring Path: Open to the public For USEFM – FP is 9. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- Who May Apply / Clarification From the Agency: All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances / certifications or their candidacy may end.
- The incumbent serves as Auto Electrician, and is under the direct supervision of the Auto electrician Foreman (Supervisor).
- He / She performs repairs of light / heavy, and armored gasoline / diesel powered motor vehicles, and forklifts.
- Performs diagnostic test to determine the nature and extent of repair work necessary, as well as performs major work on electrical systems.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Completion of Secondary School or received high school diploma with vocational training in automotive electrician is required.
- Two years of general automotive electrician experience, mainly in engine repairs, overhauls, transmissions brakes, steering, air conditioning (auto), area of servicing, electrical components of American vehicles i.e. General Motors, Ford, Chrysler, Chevrolet Suburbans, and Toyota is required.
- Thorough knowledge in diagnosing, service, repair, engine overhauls, transmissions, brakes, steering, car air condition, and electrical components of General Motors, Ford, Chrysler, Chevrolet Suburbans, Toyota, and others is required.
- This may be tested. Please specific your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Good working knowledge of English Language is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Must posses a valid Nigeria Class “D” driver’s license.
- Must be able to safely operate tow truck, as well as able to manually lift weights between 1-30 lbs (maximum).
- Must use appropriate machine and safety equipment to do heavy lifting of objects (30 to 100 Lbs, and beyond).
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Agency Benefits: Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
Hiring Preference Selection Process:
- Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification.
- A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant.
- The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
NGN 4,141,224 / USD $30,113 per annum
Application Closing Date
26th August, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “Submit Application” button. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
- In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position.
- Residency and / or Work Permit
- Secondary School Certificate
- Driver’s License
- Certificate or License
- For EFM, in addition:
- Copy of Orders / Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria.
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!