Job Title: Assistant Technical Officer, Laboratory Services
Requisition – 2020202178
Location: Nigeria-Bank (Military Base; F)
Job Type: Full time
Supervisor: Technical Officer, Health & Nutrition Services
- Northeast Nigeria is currently facing a growing humanitarian crisis with a vast number of Internally Displaced Persons in need of emergency assistance.
- These IDPs are living among host communities, lacking access to livelihoods and resources, ultimately leading to unprecedented levels of malnutrition and food insecurity. FHI 360 has been working in Nigeria for over 30 years and is now expanding activities in Borno state to respond to the IDP crisis.
- FHI 360 is expanding its expertise by responding to this humanitarian crisis through integrated WASH, Health and Protection interventions
- Provide technical support and implement high quality laboratory services for FHI 360 humanitarian program.
- Provide technical assistance and capacity building for laboratory services to FHI 360 and facility staff.
- Provide technical support on laboratory quality assurance issues at LGA and facility level.
- The ATO, Lab. Services will prepare specimens, follow detailed manual tests, oversee automated analysis tests and report tests results to assist in the diagnosis and treatment of patients.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Works as part of a multidisciplinary team of international and national staff to provide high quality patient care to an extremely vulnerable population.
- Process specimens, conduct testing and report test results with constant attention to detail and excellence in quality. Operates laboratory instruments and equipment.
- Keep organized records of specimens, tests, instrument logs, and technical analyses according to written instructions.
- Recognizes problems and errors and seek corrective actions. Adheres to the relevant Code of conduct and Ethics Conduct and document appropriate quality control and assurance procedures. Assist with quality assurance and performance improvement activities. Performs non-routine analysis when given direction.
- Works with technical support and M&E teams to collect appropriate baseline data over the life of the project Compiles and submits periodic reports Ensures adequate infection prevention and control standards are maintained at all times.
- Performs any other duties as may be assigned
Qualifications and Requirements
- BSc in Laboratory Sciences or related field with 1-3 years post national youth service experience in provision of laboratory support.
- Knowledge of advanced laboratory procedures, diagnosis and management related to care and treatment is required with some experience in an humanitarian area preferred.
- Certification of license to practice as a medical laboratory scientist is required.
- Familiarity with Nigerian public sector health system and NGOs and CBOs highly desirable.
- Previous experience working in a humanitarian crisis is highly desirable.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Knowledge of Quality Assurance and Quality Control.
- Knowledge of laboratory equipment and techniques for the following categories of assays
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the social, political and ethical issues in the community.
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants and recipients of assistance.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- High degree of proficiency in written and spoken English and Hausa communications.
- Well-developed computer skills.
- Ability to travel within 25% time.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!