Job Title: Advocacy and Engagement Advisor – Nigeria Strengthening Civic Advocacy and Local Engagement
Ref No: Req10234
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Duration: 1 year, with possibility of extension for additional four years
Project Overview and Role
- Nigeria SCALE project is a USAID-funded 5-year project (Oct 08, 2020 – Oct 07, 2025), implemented by Palladium in collaboration with the local resource partners. The goal of the Nigeria SCALE project is to strengthen the financial, management and advocacy capacity of local civil society organizations (CSOs) and Business Membership Organizations (BMOs) in Nigeria to create a more accountable, transparent, peaceful, and democratic Nigeria with more effective and efficient public service delivery.
- The SCALE Activity supports civil society organizations (CSOs) and business membership organizations (BMOs) across all of USAID/Nigeria’s programmatic sectors with a basket of managerial, business strengthening, and advocacy capacity-building interventions aimed at advancing Nigerian CSO sustainability combined with targeted grants to advance mutually agreed upon priorities. The activity is designed to enhance local civil society organizations’ ability to be positive and responsible change agents in Nigeria.
- The Advocacy and Engagement Advisor provides leadership in capacity building and advocacy strengthening and oversees Component 2 of the SCALE project (enhance capacity for improved civil society organization advocacy, collaboration, and management). The Advocacy and Engagement Advisor is responsible for SCALE tools and high-quality deployment across the project team on all aspects of capacity development.
- The Advocacy and Engagement Advisor works with team members to structure and deliver comprehensive advocacy and technical capacity building. The Advocacy and Engagement Advisor works directly with sub-awardees and grantees.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with the SCALE project technical team and work closely with the CSOs/BMOs to identify priority topics for advocacy by the organizations.
- Assist and mentor the resource partners’ Master Trainers to train CSOs and BMOs on advocacy, communication, and collaboration.
- Assist the CSOs/BMOs to develop advocacy strategy and action plans for influencing selected priority topics of national importance.
- Conduct analysis of the existing networks in specific clusters, including the clusters that advocate for gender equity, female empowerment, and youth engagement.
- Based on the analysis, propose interventions to improve networking, coordination and collaborative advocacy between CSO-BMO and Government.
- In collaboration with the resource partners, train key staff of the selected clusters on advocacy.
- In collaboration with the resource partners, coach and mentor the CSOs/BMOs clusters as they implement their advocacy strategy and action plans.
- Conduct a brief review of the existing strengths and weaknesses around citizen and civil society engagement with the Government.
- Based on the findings in specific geographic areas, co-create an action plan with the resource partners, CSOs/BMOs and clusters and oversee/assist implementation of the plans for improving citizen engagement with the Government.
- Ensure participation of CSOs representing and led by youth, women, Persons with Disability (PWD), and other marginalized and vulnerable populations in the citizen engagement activities through purposive selection of participants.
- Provide monthly, quarterly, and annual reports and other reports as requested.
- Draft success stories and project weekly highlights to reflect project achievements.
- Adhere strictly to the branding and marking policy of the project.
- Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in International Affairs, Public Administration, Policy, Social Sciences, Law, Development Studies or related field.
- At least seven (7) years of relevant experience in advocacy, capacity development of local organizations, civil society engagement; and policy reform in Nigeria.
- Strong technical expertise in design and implementation of advocacy plans.
- Prior experience of working with donor funded projects.
- Experience of engaging and working with senior leadership in government, civil society, and private sector.
- Experience in multi-sectoral coordination and networking with a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Experience working in gender, vulnerable populations (including women and children) and/or human rights desired.
- Demonstrated strategic ability, diplomacy, written and oral communication, and negotiation skills.
- Good computer skills (Microsoft Office, email, internet)
- Fluency in English and a local language.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Please note that we cannot offer sponsorship for this position. In order to be considered for this role, all applicants must have the right to work and live in Nigeria permanently. Applications from individuals without the current right to work in Nigeria will not be considered.
- This position will be based in our Abuja office only. Applicants from outside Abuja are welcome but will need to relocate at their own expense as no relocation package is available.
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!