Job Title: Administrative Officer
Job ID: 25978
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Salary Grade: P3
Hardship Level: E
Family Location Type: Non-Family
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
- The Administrative Officer is responsible for the implementation of general administrative and resource management tasks as delegated by the supervisor. S/he will work with an oversight from the supervisor, who will provide general guidance and work plans for identifying work priorities and appropriate approaches; work is controlled for meeting expected results.
- S/he will establish and maintain efficient administrative control mechanisms to ensure compliance with UN administrative, financial and human resources rules and procedures. Contacts on administrative/budgetary related issues are mainly with Sections/Units/Offices within the organization both at HQ and in the Field and with local suppliers/services to ensure provision of services and resolution of difficult problems.
- The incumbent will maintain frequent external contacts with counterparts in other organizations or at working level in national Governments on issues of importance to Organizations programmes. He/she acts as adviser or representative of the Organization with authority to discuss problems and seek common ground on which to recommend solutions based on predetermined guidelines provided by higher authority.
- The incumbent may directly supervise local staff.
- Contribute to the provision of resources (human, material and services) necessary to support the day-to-day activities of the staff in the office.
- Monitor the day-to-day personnel and administrative operations of the office.
- Provide advice on personnel and administrative policies and procedures.
- Liaise with Government and other external actors in providing vital supportive services (i.e. processing of residency, visas, tax exemptions, etc.).
- Attend inter-agency and other meetings, with specific focus on general administration, staff safety and human resources issues (i.e. common services), when requested.
- Implement processes and procedures to improve and strengthen internal controls in line with UNHCR rules and regulations.
- Coordinate the preparation of staffing and administrative budget requirements for the office.
- Participate in a competitive procurement process for selecting, awarding and issuing local contracts, in line with UNHCR regulations, rules and procedures.
- Manage contracts for the premises, cleaning and security services, and other services as and when required.
- Serve as a member of the Local Contracts Committee (LCC).
- Undertake missions to field locations to review administrative arrangements and make appropriate recommendations as required.
- Provide guidance and oversight on processes related to the mission travel of staff.
- In the absence of an HR Officer, prepare recruitment, appointments and administrative formalities concerning local staff.
- Review and approve the settlement of employee entitlements including DSA, local salaries and the Medical Insurance Plan (MIP).
- Coordinate training and capacity-building activities to staff in administrative related areas.
- In coordination with Human Resources and Field Security, undertake periodic reviews to ensure that the Office premises are set up and staff accommodation are managed in line with the organizational policies and any related issues are brought to the attention of DHR.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Years of Experience / Degree Level:
- For P3/NOC 6 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 5 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 4 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education:
- Accounting; Public or Business Administration; Economics; or other relevant field. Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
- At least 2 years of relevant work experience in an intergovernmental organization (United Nations or similar). Good knowledge of United Nations administrative and human resources rules and procedures. Excellent computer skills, in particular in MS Office applications.
- Completion of relevant UNHCR learning programme.
- AD Field Administration
- Managing Office Facilities and Assets
- RM – Resource Management
- Funds Monitoring/Cash management
- UN-UNHCR Financial Rules and Regulations and Procedures
- GB-Building Management
- SC-Purchasing Contracting
- SC-Vehicle Management (Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
- For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
- For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- C001L3 Accountability – Level 3
- C002L3 Teamwork & Collaboration – Level 3
- C003L3 Communication – Level 3
- C004L3 Commitment to Continuous Learning – Level 3
- C005L3 Client & Result Orientation – Level 3
- C006L3 Organizational Awareness – Level 3
- M002L3 Managing Performance – Level 3
- M003L3 Judgement and Decision Making – Level 3
- M005L3 Leadership – Level 3
- M006L3 Managing Resources – Level 3
- X008L3 Stakeholder Management – Level 3
Application Closing Date
15th April, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Information and Notice
- Before submitting an application, UNHCR staff members intending to apply to this Job Opening are requested to consult the Recruitment and Assignments Policy (RAP, UNHCR/HCP/2017/2 and the Recruitment and Assignments Administrative Instruction (RAAI), UNHCR/AI/2017/7 OF 15 August 2017.
- This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
- The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!